The purpose of this one-year, $15,000 Fellowship, is to stimulate scientific research and career development of young investigators or junior faculty who are pursuing a career in wound healing research. In order to be considered for the Fellowship award all applications must be received by WHF no later than 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 9, 2023. Following a review and scoring by wound healing research experts and then by the WHF Awards Committee, the successful applicant will be notified on or about February 1, 2023. The Fellowship award will be bestowed at the Wound Healing Society (WHS) Annual Meeting scheduled to occur April 26-29, 2023 at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in National Harbor, MD. The Fellowship shall begin when the award is paid to the U.S. University or Medical School accepting responsibility for the research environment (Sponsor), targeted for July 1, 2023
RESTRICTIONS, LIMITATIONS, AND APPLICANT / FELLOW RESPONSIBILITIES
The award is restricted because it is intended and designated solely for salary support or direct research costs. No part of the award may be used for indirect costs or the support of routine clinical duties. Further, the funds are to be exhausted by June 30, 2024, unless an exception to extend the term is granted by WHF in its sole discretion; if granted, the term of the extension will be based on the underlying facts and circumstances.
Awards are limited to Sponsor research laboratories that have not been funded by a 3M Fellowship Award in the last two (2) consecutive years. Laboratories with a Fellow recipient may be eligible to apply after one (1) year has elapsed.
Applicants must satisfy the requirements set forth in The Criteria, complete the Application form, and provide all required supporting documentation as instructed and within the time limits stipulated.
The Fellow is expected to both present the results at the WHS Annual Meeting occurring closest in time to the conclusion of the research and submit the completed research for publication in Wound Repair and Regeneration, The International Journal of Tissue Repair and Regeneration©. In addition, when publicly referencing the research, the Fellow is required to acknowledge the Wound Healing Foundation-3M Fellowship support by using of text and image content to be provided by WHF.
WHF reserves the right to rescind the award at any time if the Fellow fails to comply with the terms and conditions set forth herein and as provided in the submitted research application and supporting documentation.
- Each applicant must be a U.S. citizen or have a green card as a permanent resident;
- The applicant has a Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent degree and received it within the last 10 years;
- The applicant and/or the Sponsor must be a member of WHS;
- The applicant has not previously been the principle investigator on R01 or similar level research awards/projects; and,
- The applicant must meet one of the two below list requirements:
- if the applicant holds a regular, full time faculty appointment at a U.S. University or Medical School, s/he must be non-tenured at the Instructor or Assistant Professor level and, at the time of the award, be within five (5) years of the initial faculty appointment. Also, the department chairperson must submit a letter** on letterhead describing the available research laboratory facilities and additional sources of salary support and research support, if any, protected time, significance of the research, and the applicant’s qualifications. The letter must also state that Fellowship funds will be used for salary and direct costs only. Absence of this letter will exclude application from consideration.
- If the applicant does not hold a regular, full time faculty appointment as provided above (e.g., is apostdoc and/or medical resident or fellow), a senior faculty member of the U.S. University or Medical School laboratory must agree to serve as the Sponsor. Further, the Sponsor must submit a letter** on letterhead describing the available research laboratory facilities and additional sources of salary support and research support, if any, protected time, significance of the research, and the applicant’s qualifications. The letter must also state that Fellowship funds will be used for salary and direct costs only. Absence of this letter will exclude application from consideration.
** Letters of support can be included with the application materials or sent separately by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Letters must be emailed and received no later than January 9, 2023.
WHF 3M FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
The completed application must submitted along with the following supporting documentation:
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae and bibliography (Two page limit in NIH format style http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/biosketchsample.pdf).
- Description of the research proposal: Use Arial 11 or Times New Roman 12 font. Proposal is limited to six (6) single-spaced pages (including any figures or tables) with margins at least 3/4 inch. The proposal should include title of the research project, abstract (300 word limit), background and significance of this research, preliminary data, experimental approach (which should include experimental design, methodology, and expected results, alternative approaches in case problems are encountered) and a time line for the proposed work.
- Literature cited (2 page limit).
- Plans for appropriate institutional approvals (e.g. IRB, IACUC or Animal Studies Committee). No funds will be distributed until the Wound Healing Foundation receives a copy of the appropriate institutional approval.
- Letter of support from either the Department Chair or the applicant's Sponsor (see Criteria).
- A current copy of applicant's Chair/Sponsor's Institutional Conflict of Interest Statement or written statement about potential Conflict of Interest provided to the Wound Healing Foundation in relationship of scientific proposal and WHF Fellowship monies.
- The application and all supporting documentation are only accepted by email as a single pdf file attachment. Submit applications to: email@example.com
a. A letter of support can be sent to the Awards Committee of the Wound Healing Foundation with the application or separately to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submissions must be received before 11:59 PM ET, Monday, January 9, 2023. A received receipt email will be sent. If you do not receive an email receipt for the application, please resend to ensure submission and then contact us to ensure delivery.